Tuesday, October 8, 2013

MP3 blog 2013/10/08

blog 2013/10/08 - there's a bell ringing, signifying the end

shake that laffy taffy:  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20131008.zip


Basia Bulat - It Can't Be You
Basia Bulat - Never Let Me Go:  I have been a fan of BB since her first album, and I recently saw her a 4th time.  She brought Evening Hymans and Rolf of The Acorn up on stage for backup vocals and it all created a transcendent few minutes.  It was a "you had to be there" kind of thing.  Her album Tall Tall Shadow is a fabulous folk whirlwind which strives to capture her live magic and is oh so close at achieving it.  Highly recommended.

Hop Along - Laments
Hop Along - Get Disowned
Hop Along - Some Grace:  Another track from Get Disowned appears wayback in this blog, but I listened to that post again and realized I had to get the full length album, and within discovered so much other great slow-burn emoangst fury.  Recommended!

Janelle Monáe - Givin Em What They Love ft Prince
Janelle Monáe - I Want You Back (Jackson 5 cover):  Oh hey we need a guest for this track. How about…  PRINCE???  Oh my god amazing.   The Electric Lady is out now to massive praise.  I like Janelle a whole lot, but I want to love her even more.  I love many of her songs and many things about her, but I just can't get in to any of her albums as a whole.  It was the same thing with Frank Ocean:  lots of mindblowing cuts, totally in love with the individual, but I keep skipping over tracks that I just can't groove on.

Joy O - Knock Knock
Joy O - Sicko Cell:  Using a clever SUPER SECRET alias, Joy Orbison serves up some of my favourite bouncy bangers.

Julia Holter - Goddess Eyes II:  Hot tip producers:  Check these ecstasy-inducing vocals and remix this shit for 15 minutes.

Le1f - Airbending
Le1f
- Pocahontas ft Kitty Pryde:  Fly Zone is a bit all over the place, but it's got a tonne of fun in it.

Punch - The Chase:  aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand before you know it, it's GONE!

Rhye - One Of Those Summer Days (Felix! Edit):  a moist summer morning jam stretched out as things start to evaporate

Sandro Perri - Romeo Heart (Slight Return):  Digging in to Perri's catalogue, I scooped out the great little gem of Plays Polmo Polpo, where he revisits his old electronica project tracks with new eyes.

Shigeto - Detroit Part 1:  Dope downtempo from the new album No Better Time Than Now.

Trim - Album Skits
Trim - Thoughts:  I only recently sifted through Monkey Features but oh fuck there is some SLAMMING grime ish here.  Love love love the playful beats.

Tsunami Bomb - Planet, Schmanet, Janet:  The cutest of all renditions from the Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show compilation.  I'm not the hugest RHPS fan but oh the re-interpretations!


THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Basia Bulat - It Can't Be You
Basia Bulat - Never Let Me Go
Hop Along - Laments
Hop Along - Get Disowned
Hop Along - Some Grace
Janelle Monáe - Givin Em What They Love ft Prince
Janelle Monáe - I Want You Back (Jackson 5 cover)
Joy O - Knock Knock
Joy O - Sicko Cell
Julia Holter - Goddess Eyes II
Le1f - Airbending
Le1f - Pocahontas ft Kitty Pryde
Punch - The Chase
Rhye - One Of Those Summer Days (Felix! Edit)
Sandro Perri - Romeo Heart (Slight Return)
Shigeto - Detroit Part 1
Trim - Album Skits
Trim - Thoughts
Tsunami Bomb - Planet, Schmanet, Janet


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:
DJ mixes
Blog archives
CPI fan page

Buy Me Books
(US version)
Friend me on Last.FM to see what I am listening to
Fan-made Spotify playlists

Enjoy!
~CPI

No comments:

Post a Comment