Thursday, May 6, 2010

MP3 blog 2010/05/06

 blog 2010/05/06 - The flutter-bies are rumbley in the tummy.

I'm still playing a mad game of catch-up here!   Pip, pip!  Try and stay in time now.

BTW, I've written up a new section on the web site:  http://thetastates.com/newhere.php

I'm New Here.... A First Timer's Guide To CPI.

It's part FAQ, part beginners guide, part bio.  Check it out and let me know what you think!  It will probably eventually replace my old bio page.


Aaron Martin, Part Timer - Climbing Into Water (Drowned)
Aaron Martin, Part Timer - Gravel Scar (Dried Blood):  Grass Rewound came out in 2009 and it a lush and rewarding album of emotionally touching ambient pieces.  While an ambient experience at it's heart, it has borrows from the ecstasies of the likes of Murcof.  Recommended.

Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar (Kurc Remix):  An interesting remix that drops the verses entirely and focuses on the chorus, but it's an unlikely street banger hit.

Avi Buffalo - Whats In It For:  off the similarly titled 7" single, this band ressurects a simpler time of indie pop.  I haven't heard their full length yet...  More later.

Crystal Castles
- Year Of Silence:  Another track from Crystal Castles' self titled new album!  I really am getting in to this album, and it will really solidify their place on the hipster touring circuit.  The whole thing is a quality mix of pop sensibilities and the distortion and nonsense that almost seem trademarked.  Distortion without lo-fi cliches!  Electro with the desire to stab yourself in the ears!  Very much recommended.

Cults - Go Outside:  From a self titled 7", this track is gloriously innocent pop, that opens with the perfect sample to give a sinister dichotomy.  Indie rock goes bubblegum?  Or are they just smarter than us?

Health - USA Boys:  I wasn't crazy in to their album, but this is from their remix album and hmmmmm it cleans things up and leaves my favourite elements there!    Apparently recorded in the studio of none other than Trent Reznor!  I like it.

Kate Nash - Don't You Want To Share The Guilt
Kate Nash - Later On
Kate Nash - Paris:  Ready for 2010, Kate's new album is "My Best Friend Is You" and it is pretty fabulous.  There are tonnes of great songs on here.  But, it's kind of like Regina Spektor's Soviet Kitsch:  I can only really get in to half of the songs, and I get turned off by the rest.  Don't let that dissuade  you, because there is so much goodness in this bundle.  SO MUCH.  And hey, if you really like Regina Spektor, you will LOVE this album.  It has similar charms.  And Lily Allen.  If you're a fan of her, grab this without hesitation.
She is an emotional whirlwind, but it's one helluva ride on the bipolar merry-go-round.

LaBelle - It Took A Long Time:  This number comes from last year's Precious soundtrack.
No.  I will not write out "the full official" name.  Fuck, who does that?  It's Precious.  Just call it fucking Precious.  yeesh.

Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring
Los Campesinos! - Straight In At 101:  We dropped the first single in an earlier blog entry, but here are two more fabulous tracks from the new LP "Romance Is Boring".
On their last EP, Los Campesinos! were downright angsty, but they have seem to stepped out of self-pity and right back in to their entirely manic-cum-emo powers which made us fall in love with them in the first place.
I'm not down with the entire album, but if you have ever loved this band, you owe it to yourself to get this album.  For me, it's a bit too much like hanging out with emotionally incompetent drama kids doing lines of ecstasy:  Fun to hang around with for a bit, but you need to step outside for some air every 15 minutes or so.

Richard Devine & Telefon Tel Aviv - CWCIII:  Dayyam, it's been a long time since I've heard the Richard Devine I knew and loved!  Back in the mid 90s Mr. Devine dropped some smoking IDM beats on the world, but then went all Max/MSP/glitchfest and I tuned it all out.
This track comes from the new Ghostly By Night compilation and serves up the crunchtastic beats that I know and love.  And hell, a touch of

The Album Leaf - Resonations:  A quaint little acoustic guitar and strings number, off the new record "There Is A Wind".

The Count And Sinden - Strange Things:  Oh hell yes!  Time to step things up a notch and drop some dnb.  I'm so happy Count And Sinden are working more in this territory, I've loved the few jungley things they dropped previously.

The Young Punx
- Ready For The Fight:  For me, this is the shining single off the new "Mashpop & Punxstep" album.

Treasure Fingers - What Am I Supposed To Do:  After producing some remixes I've loved, great to see an original production from Treasure Fingers.  And a totally slamming jackin' house track!

Yolanda Be Cool + Dcup - We No Speak Americano:  Man, we're ending this end of the blog with a total dance party!  Fucking hotness.


THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Aaron Martin, Part Timer - Climbing Into Water (Drowned)
Aaron Martin, Part Timer - Gravel Scar (Dried Blood)
Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar (Kurc Remix)
Avi Buffalo - Whats In It For
Crystal Castles - Year Of Silence
Cults - Go Outside
Health - USA Boys
Kate Nash - Don't You Want To Share The Guilt
Kate Nash - Later On
Kate Nash - Paris
LaBelle - It Took A Long Time
Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring
Los Campesinos! - Straight In At 101
Richard Devine & Telefon Tel Aviv - CWCIII
The Album Leaf - Resonations
The Count And Sinden - Strange Things
The Young Punx - Ready For The Fight
Treasure Fingers - What Am I Supposed To Do
Yolanda Be Cool + Dcup - We No Speak Americano


There is a glorious sway to it all:  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20100506.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:
DJ mixes
Blog archives
CPI fan page
Buy me books
Friend me on Last.FM to see what I am listening to

Enjoy!
~CPI

1 comment:

  1. Might I make a recommendation? Francisca Valenzuela.

    American-born, Chilean-raised, 22 years old. Sounds like a Fiona Apple/Chrissie Hynde/Regina Spektor + jazz influences + strange music videos.

    And she went to Berklee College of Music, always a plus.

    ReplyDelete