Thursday, November 11, 2010

MP3 blog 2010/11/10

blog 2010/11/10 - a busy week, but take some solace in this update

I have to say, I love taking Tuesday and Thursday off!  Woot.  3 day work week!
And so before things get too nutty, here's another fabulous slab of (mostly) new releases.
PARTY!



Adam Arcuragi - She Comes To Me:  This one has a bit of that Beirut swagger, with a bit more "passed out at the bar" kind of feel.  From last year's "I Am Become Joy".

Annie - I Don't Like Your Band:  Annie is total cheese, but if you love Robyn, it almost goes without saying you have to love Annie.  And her songs are all so brutally honest, while being sunshine pop.  She has this earnestness that is focused solely on the shallow world of club culture, and her songs themselves are a cultural void, but still you have to smile at tracks like "I Don't Like Your Band", "Happy Without You", "I Know Ur Girlfriend Hates Me", "My Love Is Better".

Baths - Pop Song:  The whole thing, at first glance, seems kind of unassuming and downright "preset".  But there's a charming quality about this that just sucked me in.  Sometimes songwriting just trumps musical innovation.

Benga & Coki - Night (Geeneus Remix):  This tribal dubby number just slinks along delightfully, and then it's gone.  Gone fabulously.

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Heaven Can Wait (Nosaj Thing Remix):  I was never a big fan of the original, but this takes the overeager pop and subdues it appropriately and now it's smooth and cool and great.

Cornershop - Topknot ft Bubbly Kaur (Cavemen Mix ft M.I.A.):  It makes me so happy to have M.I.A. out on a good new track!  I love me some South Asian breakbeats, and I fucking LOVE Cavemen (where did they disappear to for so long?) so yay yay yay for this.

Crystal Castles - Not In Love ft Robert Smith:  WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?  How the hell did this happen?  I was in shock when I saw this.  Could it be true?  Could it be?
Yes, it is.  It's here and it's yours.  Everyone, MAKE OUT ON THE DANCE FLOOR!

Das Racist - All Tan Everything ft Jay-Z
Das Racist - People Are Strange
Das Racist - Sit Down, Man ft El-P:  I had heard some random tracks by Das Racist and wasn't impressed, so I slept on this album, and now I realize the error of my ways.  This album is great.  Fun lyrics, interesting flows, an army of great producers pushing some great new ideas around, and a good roster of guests as well.  I think the thing that really seals the deal is that the MCs are really intelligent and play around with ideas of racism and stereotyping in such a knowing way.
Oh and mad bonus points for riffing on MC Hammer's Addams Groove.
   
Discovery - I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend ft Angel Deradoorian:  Electro house meets Dirty Projectors?  Passion Pit dressed as Beyonce?

Don Diablo - Animale ft Dragonette:  Dragonette!  Kudos to you for making such amazing strides in 2010 with your collabs.  This isn't QUITE as super amazing as the last single I posted here, but still heads above the competition.

Eleanor Murray - Street To Ride:  From "Oh Thunder", I love the sense of foreboding and magnitude that is expressed here by what on the surface is just a subdued folk song.

Gyptian - Hold You (Shy FX & Benny Page Digital Soundboy Remix):  CHOOOOON!  Total ecstatic ragga anthem rework!  LIGHTAS UP!  This is the ish that gets the cuddle puddle rockin'.

John Zorn - Anxieties (The Treatment OST)
John Zorn - The Treatment (The Treatment OST):  I discovered John Zorn's Filmworks series way back when there was only 4 of them out.  Now there's like what, 23?   I have been working my way through the series and #18 (from 2006) has me stopped dead in my tracks.  For the film The Treatment (never seen it either), we have some of the most gorgeous ensemble pieces I've heard all year.

Les Nouvelles Polyphonies Corses With Hector Zazou - Eramu in Campu:  This one goes back 1991!  Digging in the vaults, but alas no, I just recently discovered this gem.  Full of haunting chants, flute, tribal drums and a steady sense of wonder.  New agey in all of the right ways, but as demanding of your prescience as any Philip Glass album.
   
People You Know - Good Girls
People You Know - Virginia Gold:  Toronto rockers do right!  More gems from the Canadian invasion that will make their way to any mixtape you construct for your girlfriend.

The Tallest Man On Earth - The Dreamer:  Oh lordy lordy lord, what a dynamite track to end on!  Sometimes the Blues Is Just a Passing Bird is the gorgeous new EP from this artist who already gave us gold this year.  Kiss the fucking ring!



THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Adam Arcuragi - She Comes To Me
Annie - I Don't Like Your Band
Baths - Pop Song
Benga & Coki - Night (Geeneus Remix)
Charlotte Gainsbourg - Heaven Can Wait (Nosaj Thing Remix)
Cornershop - Topknot ft Bubbly Kaur (Cavemen Mix ft M.I.A.)
Crystal Castles - Not In Love ft Robert Smith
Das Racist - All Tan Everything ft Jay-Z
Das Racist - People Are Strange
Das Racist - Sit Down, Man ft El-P
Discovery - I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend ft Angel Deradoorian
Don Diablo - Animale ft Dragonette
Eleanor Murray - Street To Ride
Gyptian - Hold You (Shy FX & Benny Page Digital Soundboy Remix)
John Zorn - Anxieties (The Treatment OST)
John Zorn - The Treatment (The Treatment OST)
Les Nouvelles Polyphonies Corses With Hector Zazou - Eramu in Campu
People You Know - Good Girls
People You Know - Virginia Gold
The Tallest Man On Earth - The Dreamer


We can dig our way to a new sense of joy:  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20101110.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:

Enjoy!
~CPI

2 comments:

  1. HI caitlyn can you make a double c90 tape for me whis space music i very like you selection big kiss from france ! pierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, don't have a tape player any more. :)

    ReplyDelete