Thursday, November 18, 2010

MP3 blog 2010/11/18

blog 2010/11/18 - let's blow this popsicle stand

Big things are a-brewing!  Soon I will be off on a plane to the magical land of California, where I'll be spinning ambient and IDM at a private 48-hour long party, and I am incredibley psyched up for that.
Again, I'll often play in any country, providing you cover all expenses.  (Unless it's a big money event, in which case I'd want pay.)
Thanks to all of those that have taken me up on that offer!  It's always fun to visit new places, and drop some great music there.

When I get back I have to get deep in to sifting and rating to come up with the framework of my BEST OF 2010 list, which you should be anticipating.  :)



Baron Bane - Orchids:  A slightly electro take on Florence And The Machine styled pop.

Bill Frisell - Keep On The Sunny Side:  I saw Bill Frisell's Beautiful Dreamers ensemble over the summer (because I love Eyvind Kang's violin oh so much), and a bunch of the set was great.  I was annoyed by the pop standards a bit, EXCEPT for this one.  They did a much longer rendition live, but oh a classic like this does put a smile on my face.

Caribou - Sun (Midland Re-Edit):  So many remixes of this out there!  But I think this is my favourite.  I don't even love Caribou, but was so waiting for this track to go DEEP.

DeVotchKa - Along the Way:  Sometimes I just pine for some fabulous horns beneath my crooner pop.  Oh Beirut, what have you done to us?  From the album "A Mad and Faithful Telling".

Iron Shirt - I Gave You All My Love (Matt Shadetek's I Gave You All My Dub Remix):  Probably my favourite standout from the wishy washy "Uproot: The Ingredients" collection circa 2008, it incorporates all of the modern soul dub goodness of someone like Fat Freddy's Drop with that analog synth blurt we've come to love.

James Blackshaw - Cross:  I fell in love with James Blackshaw with the 2007 The Cloud of Unknowing and I have since gone and found more of his fantastic work!  This is from the 2009 album "The Glass Bead Game", lovingly and appropriately referencing Herman Hesse's masterful novel.  The intricacies woven without hint of exhaustion here are magical.

Marnie Stern - Gimme
Marnie Stern - Nothing Left:  New Marnie Stern!  After the mouthful of the last album title, this one's just self titled, but just as ass kicking.  Like Gang Gang Dance or Ponytail, there is a love of dischord that is the price of admission, but like those two other bands, if you are tall enough to ride, there are moments of great ecstasy within.  And of course if you loved the last album, this will be essential.

Max Richter - Infra 8
Max Richter - Journey 2:  Richter is back with "Infra" for 2010 and it continues his tradition of strong soundtrack-focused compositions, and probably even remember his work from the spectacular movie Waltz With Bashir (which you TOTALLY need to see).
There is a fine balance between string compositions and textured electronics that almost implies the scenes flippnig between each other.  For fans of contemporary classical, soundtrack music and ambient, highly recommended!

MGMT - Congratulations:  I didn't give the new LP too many listens, but thought I should promo the precious highlight here.  Remember when Ween sobered up and released heartfelt subdued songs that sound like a Sunday afternoon hangover?  Yeah, that.

MJ Cole & Wiley - From The Drop (L-Vis 1990 remix):  MC Cole rocks my booty!  And oh wait, L-Vis 1990!  He rocks my booty too!  OMG they are rocking it so hard I'm worried my booty will get cancelled out!  The stakes are high in this game of life.

Moremoney - All Those People:  The backbeat is total shades of Bjork's Medulla, but the vox are more mid 90s Garbage than anything.

Owen Pallett - Scandal At The Parkade:  Owen doesn't have the same track record for EPs as say, Antony Hegarty.  While Antony releases gems of perfectly compact EPs that are essential to the catalouge, you end up wanting to skip over Pallett's EP efforts.   The new EP is called "A Swedish Love Story" and there is a some goodness on it!  As a whole I'm not in love with it all, but OMG this song sounds like it could have been a single off of his masterpiece, Heartland.

Paris Wells - Let's Get It Started (Mat Cant Remix):  Cabaret-esque pop...  done Juke style?   Umm OK.  But it totally works.  Super addicrtive.

Parlovr - Hell, Heaven:  From the album "Hell / Heaven / Big / Love" something about this makes me nostalgic for that which we earnestly dubbed "alternative rock" in the mid 90s.

Prince Club - Love Jackson:  Some sweet pitched down soul deepness!

The Decemberists - Down By The Water:  Leaked everywhere already, this is the firs single from the forthcoming album "The King Is Dead".  LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!

The National - You Were A Kindness:  The stellar "High Violet" gets the deluxe treatment, and here's a taste of bonus track goodness that you're missing out on.



THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Baron Bane - Orchids
Bill Frisell - Keep On The Sunny Side
Caribou - Sun (Midland Re-Edit)
DeVotchKa - Along the Way
Iron Shirt - I Gave You All My Love (Matt Shadetek's I Gave You All My Dub Remix)
James Blackshaw - Cross
Marnie Stern - Gimme
Marnie Stern - Nothing Left
Max Richter - Infra 8
Max Richter - Journey 2
MGMT - Congratulations
MJ Cole & Wiley - From The Drop (L-Vis 1990 remix)
Moremoney - All Those People
Owen Pallett - Scandal At The Parkade
Paris Wells - Let's Get It Started (Mat Cant Remix)
Parlovr - Hell, Heaven
Prince Club - Love Jackson
The Decemberists - Down By The Water
The National - You Were A Kindness



Oakland, can you hear me?  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20101118.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:

Enjoy!
~CPI

1 comment:

  1. omgz you're coming to CA? Oakland? Next week? *bounce bounce* if you're up for meeting with a few long-term fans of yours we'd happily buy you supper/beverages in SF or Oak for a chance to hug you in-person for your awesomeness. :)

    Email if at all possible, plz, your fan @cala

    wired.faerie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete