Thursday, February 23, 2012

MP3 blog 2012/02/23

blog 2012/02/23 - you know this is forever


First up:  Big announcement for Spotify users!
Someone has graciously offered to convert my blog entries in to Spotify playlists.
The transition is not perfect, about 30-40% of the songs I post aren't on Spotify, but if that's your main way of listening you might be down.

I'm not running this, it's all being done by a person named J.K., and so I take no responsibility if they suddenly up and vanish.
I can't get Spotify up here in Canada, so I'll have no way to do it myself or verify or any of that.  So buyer beware and all that, but he seems chill and I don't think he'll go crazy and suddenly start spamming you with Justin Bieber tracks.
http://sharemyplaylists.com/search/playlists/cpi
http://sharemyplaylists.com/members/sprocket87/playlists



Alias - Boom Boom Boom
Alias - Wrap:  If you've followed the arc of my DJ career, you'll notice a distinct love for the works of Alias, going back to the late 90s.  Fever Dream is another solid slab of wonderful breaks with a techy edge and is a must-have for breaks lovers out there.

Buraka Som Sistema - (We Stay) Up All Night (Botnek Remix):  After my disappointment in the album, this pretty much makes up for EVERYTHING.

Die Antwoord - I Fink U Freeky:  Haven't heard the whole album, but I can't help but love this song.  I wonder if I'd like it less if I hadn't seen the video first?

Dirty Three - Rising Below:  OMG NEW DIRTY THREE!  Haven't heard the new record Toward the Low Sun yet but I am so hyped for it.  Can't wait.

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (Rey & Kjavik Repaint):  This was one of those songs where you liked it the first time you heard it, but on the 2nd time through you thought "hmmm still good, but I could see myself hating this really fast if I heard it more than once a week..."  Yeah fastforward a week and everyone's vomiting on cue.  I like this remix a lot because it doesn't over-indulge in the sweet pop hooks, but still includes them all there in the necessary manner.

Grimes - Genesis
Grimes - Skin:  I wasn't digging the full length as much as everyone else seems to be, but ahh these songs are nice.

Illuha - Aikou:  The new album Shizuku is filled with stunning, shimmering glorious ambient textures.  If I had heard this last year, it most certainly would have been high atop my list of best instrumental albums of the year.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Jill Barber - Mischeivous Moon
Jill Barber - Tell Me:  She's pretty much the ultimate romance crooner.  Saw her live last month and she and her band were spot-on, even better than on record.  Corny romance music for corny romance lovers.  Dress up in your finest gown, go out for a night on the town with your beau, and fingerbang while drunkenly in the bathroom.

MDEINHEIGHTS - Wildflowers (Exhale Efreet):  Screw you and your wacky punctuation, but there's some nice pop chops under that mess of periods and colons.

Pete And The Pirates - Winter 1:  ahhh these guys always have such concise little pop rock songs.  Always a pleasure.

The Caretaker - In The Deep And Dark Hours Of The Night:  "Patience (After Sebald)" doesn't really add much beyond "An Empty Bliss..." but it has a few tracks that kind of work.  I am unsure as to why this guy gets the heaps of praise out there, but ahh well I've never been one to have taste.  Much of it seems so much less confident than say, Ekkehard Ehlers.  But as I said, a few useful gems in it all.

The Joy Formidable - I Don't Want To See You Like This (Steve Nieve piano version):  Ahh this follows up nicely!  The oft noisey JF do some great reworks, and I love it all.  Had I listened to them more last year, they most likely would have ended up on my top 40 list.  Apologies, Joy Formidable!

Trailer Trash Tracys - Dies In 55:  It's like all yr fvourite dreampop is mushed together and you don't care because it tastes so good.



THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Alias - Boom Boom Boom
Alias - Wrap
Buraka Som Sistema - (We Stay) Up All Night (Botnek Remix)
Die Antwoord - I Fink U Freeky
Dirty Three - Rising Below
Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (Rey & Kjavik Repaint)
Grimes - Genesis
Grimes - Skin
Illuha - Aikou
Jill Barber - Mischeivous Moon
Jill Barber - Tell Me
MDEINHEIGHTS - Wildflowers (Exhale Efreet)
Pete And The Pirates - Winter 1
The Caretaker - In The Deep And Dark Hours Of The Night
The Joy Formidable - I Don't Want To See You Like This (Steve Nieve piano version)
Trailer Trash Tracys - Dies In 55


and ever and ever and ever:  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20120223.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:

Enjoy!
~CPI

No comments:

Post a Comment