Friday, August 20, 2010

MP3 blog 2010/08/20

blog 2010/08/20 - happy berfday to me!

OK, it's been a while.  There's a backlog.  So I am not pulling any punches here, it's time to get back in the swing of things!
On my birthday, here's a gift from me to you. xox




Amari - Tiger:  The vocals reminds me of They Might Be Giants on codeine, with an accent.  And the composition isn't far off, but the funky riffs come in a tad lighter than the TMBG funk does normally.

Boris Smile - Aurora:  I admit, I was snookered!  I originally put this song on because I thought it was Japanese progsludge band Boris.  And Boris does make me smile.
But, NO RELATION.
Instead we get some fabulous folk with wonderful echoey guitar sitting in the background, an astute horns section, and hell EVEN A SING-AND-CLAP-ALONG SECTION, which is always welcome.

Die Antwoord - Beat Boy (The Bobby6Killers & Guerilla Speakerz Remix):  If there's ever a song that desperately needed an edit it was Beat Boy!  An incredible song, but it's like 8 minutes of Ninja talking about his penis.
This doesn't capture the majesty of the original's bassline and chorus, but it's a worthy and useful rework.

DZ - Nevah:  The hot DZ singles keep coming and coming...  Another notch in an already stellar catalouge.

El Sueño De La Casa Propia  - Voluntad De Oro:  The backwards vocals here are total goodness.

Emiliana Torrini - Jungle Drum (Jai Paul Remix):  I hadn't heard much Torrini I've loved since her innocent deubt LP, but the synth bass on this one makes me really happy.

Foxglove - Don't Tread On The Cracks (Analogik Remix):  Oooo sassy lounge music!

Glass Vaults - Forget Me Not:  Gorgeous and brooding, for fans of The National and mellow Frightened Rabit.

Gold Panda - You:  You you you you?  Me me me me! 

I Blame Coco - Self Machine (Chew Fu Robotix Fix):  I found this band because of the collab they did with Robyn.  Sounds like the great band The Sounds from 2 years ago, with that top drawer radio pop sitting on fully produced electronic beats that don't overwhelm the vocalist.  The kind of thing that just begs for a Rex The Dog remix.

La Roux - I'm Not Your Toy (Nero Remix):  There are so many remixers that can take La Roux's complex vocals and really just make them slam so perfectly on their bass, and assuredly this is one of them.  Sick.  I just love Nero's work.

Memphis Bleek - Still Ill:  Normally I wouldn't listen to rappers like Memphis Bleek because ick, who needs the bullshit posturing?  But every once in a while a track is just so hot that your brain glazes over all the fucked-up stupid shit they say and it just becomes a hot track.

Nuyorican Soul - Runaway (Mongoloids in Space):  It's not often I'll put up a full length house track like this, but ah well, why not?  Classic big-room deep house with a funky bassline coming in halfway through.

Telepath - The Chaotic:  Some straight ahead slinky downtempo.

The Panacea - State of Extasy:  Ahhh Panacea!  I used to have all of the 90s 12" singles, so I had to of course check out the Rare and Unreleased collection.  post-rave tech-step jungle cheese?  Oh yes please.

Villagers - Home
Villagers - Set The Tigers Free
Villagers - That Day:  I couldn't feel the whole thing, but there were a few real gems on the new album "Becoming A Jackal".
Definitely check it out if you are a fan of The Morning Benders, Bruce Peninsula, Luke Temple,




THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Amari - Tiger
Boris Smile - Aurora
Die Antwoord - Beat Boy (The Bobby6Killers & Guerilla Speakerz Remix)
DZ - Nevah
El Sueño De La Casa Propia  - Voluntad De Oro
Emiliana Torrini - Jungle Drum (Jai Paul Remix)
Foxglove - Don't Tread On The Cracks (Analogik Remix)
Glass Vaults - Forget Me Not
Gold Panda - You
I Blame Coco - Self Machine (Chew Fu Robotix Fix)
La Roux - I'm Not Your Toy (Nero Remix)
Memphis Bleek - Still Ill
Nuyorican Soul - Runaway (Mongoloids in Space)
Telepath - The Chaotic
The Panacea - State of Extasy
Villagers - Home
Villagers - Set The Tigers Free
Villagers - That Day



It's time for deliciousness.  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20100820.zip



Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:

Enjoy!
~CPI

No comments:

Post a Comment