Tuesday, April 13, 2010

MP3 blog 2010/04/13

blog 2010/04/13 - come on panda taffy, mama's feelin' lucky!

Hitting you with another 80 minutes of underground joys!

Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate - Doudou
Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate - Kala Djula:  As I've gushed about before, anything by either of these artists is essential.  Put them together?  And you're easily nearing the best of the year, by far.  Toure died in 2006, and this was one of their final encounters.  Some compositions from each of them, and each arrange traditional pieces as well.  2 master musicians who dediated their lives to their instruments, and let us in for a peak at their genius.  Simply bliss, and highly recommended.

Chihei Hatakeyama - Cave
Chihei Hatakeyama - Confession:  The only fault I really have of Katakeyama is the occassional succumbing to the Windham Hill keyboard cliches.  Much of the material, while dwelling that realm of synth ambience, is still quite engrossing.  The first track here is from the LP "Ghostly Garden", and the 2nd from "A Long Journey", both 2010!  Hatakeyama, like Roach and Lustmord and others, know that the marketing cycle of drone ambienters isn't quite the same as say Vampire Weekend.

Dead Confederate - Heavy Petting:   I was super psyched last time I posted some Dead Confederate.  Holy shit, wasn't Start Me Laughing an insanely good track?  Well I got the album Wrecking Ball and it wasn't all genius throughout, but here's another standout track from that outing.

Foals - Spanish Sahara (Mount Kimbie Remix):  Mount Kimbie were always IDM in my mind, but then they kept creeping up on the charts of dubstep fans.  I couldn't be happier!  Well, I could be, if more dubstep had that clicky dubstep influence and textural subtlety going on.  This track is gorgeous.

Man & Vänner - Sandstorm (Man & Vänner Dubstep Remix):  Put your hands up if you played Dance Dance Revolution!  If you are a veteran of the dance pad, or a veteran of the cheeseball ravetrance scene, chances are Sandstorm is drilled thoroughly in to your brain.  This is a much needed retwist.

Red - On My Knees:  Downtempo will always have a place in my heart, and there are so many great vocal licks in the archives of soul music to continue to produce tracks like this.  This is a good thing.

Rox - My Baby Left Me (Terror Danjah Original Mix):  Solid vocals worked in around a lovely crunchy beat.

She & Him - Thieves:  Volume 2 is the cleverly titled follow-up to their Volume 1.  I have to say, I haven't been able to get in to it yet, but the new single here is quite lovely.  But still, get all over this one if you are an M. Ward fan, or a fan of the Volume 1.

Schlachthofbronx - Vem Que Tem ft Marina (Daniel Haaksman Remix): 

Sightings - Tar and Pine:  From the new album City of Straw, this track reminds me of some of my favourite 7"s from the 80s, with the crunchy distortion and disaffected off-key spoken vox rambling just to the side, in the background somewhere.  Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but this isn't about you.  We've discussed that.

Sophie Madeleine - The Knitting Song:  Yep, this pretty much exactly how I was hoping a song entitled "The Knitting Song" would sound like.  OK, maybe there were more handclaps in my mind, but the harmonica, ukulele and chimes were all there.

Team Me - Weathervanes And Chemicals:  From the 2010 "Music Alliance Pact", I love this whole "group of best friends singing in a shower" kind of vibe.

The Ambience Affair - Lost At The Start:  Off the 2010 Patterns EP and man I just want the day to be over at this point.

The Radio Dept. - David:  This kind of reminds me of 80s new wave pop.  Feel good times.

XXXchange - Better Than You:  In the vein of disco anthem "Music Sounds Better With You", here we get another diva workover to great effect. 




THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate - Doudou
Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate - Kala Djula
Chihei Hatakeyama - Cave
Chihei Hatakeyama - Confession
Dead Confederate - Heavy Petting
Foals - Spanish Sahara (Mount Kimbie Remix)
Man & Vänner - Sandstorm (Man & Vänner Dubstep Remix)
Red - On My Knees
Rox - My Baby Left Me (Terror Danjah Original Mix)
She & Him - Thieves
Schlachthofbronx - Vem Que Tem ft Marina (Daniel Haaksman Remix)
Sightings - Tar and Pine
Sophie Madeleine - The Knitting Song
Team Me - Weathervanes And Chemicals
The Ambience Affair - Lost At The Start
The Radio Dept. - David
XXXchange - Better Than You


It's all wasted, but we salvaged the moment:  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20100413.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:
DJ mixes
Blog archives
CPI fan page
Buy me books
Friend me on Last.FM to see what I am listening to

Enjoy!
~CPI

No comments:

Post a Comment