Friday, April 16, 2010

MP3 blog 2010/04/16

blog 2010/04/16 - I never meant to get this hectic.

It's not that I don't like you.  Really, it's not.  Look, I know you're mostly here for the poppy schnazzy stuff, but that's not how it works.  I just post what I like of what I listen to, there's no other rhyme or reason.
And sometimes the cards fall the way they do here:  A huge chunk of awesomeness that might just alienate casual listeners front-loads this update.  If you are a bit sheepish, sure, skip the first half.  Really, that's why there are genres in the first place. 

I think it's awesome, so nyah.  Haters can hate.


Kangding Ray - Soundtrack For A Peter De Jong Attractor
Senking - Skidozer 301:  When I started in to the label sampler "A3 Raster-Noton Archive 3" I wasn't expecting much.  I was barely even paying attention.  Years of succumbing to hype-then-disappointment from the likes of Mego and Kompakt had left me a tad bitter, perhaps.  But about 15 minutes in to it all, I was startled.  I realized three things:   Not only was I not bored, not only was I not annoyed, but I was ENGROSSED.  Raster-Noton has done have top notch job assembling the tracks for this comp and they trot out their priziest ponies of brain-dance microsound glitch ambient fun!  Highly recommended.

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Storytime (The Road OST)
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Bath (The Road OST)
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Road (The Road OST):  I haven't even seen the movie, but after getting so much in to this soundtrack, I might just have to.  Fabulous and moody instrumentals.

NOMO - Invisible Cities
NOMO - Nocturne:  This is the "just right jazz", featuring accessible structures, far-reaching sounds, and an engrossing funk pace that never lets you down.   "Invisible Cities" is an incredible LP for modern jazz lovers out there.

September Collective - Waldflöte:  A quick little dive in to the world of ambient texture with this track from 2009's Always Breathing Monster album.

Slow Club - Dance 'Till The Morning Light
Slow Club - It Doesn't Have To Be Beautiful
Slow Club - There Is No Good Way To Say I'm Leaving You
Slow Club - Trophy Room:  I haven't done 4 tracks from a single band since I was hooked on Samantha Crain & The Midnight Shivers.  But oh I am in to Slow Club, and their adorable little album "Yeah So". 
It comes off as unabashedly earnest and quaint and cute.  Like in high school when people are working on a musical and they are so fucking cracked out from singing "In to the woods to grandmother's house" but get together in the hallway to make indie music.  It's precious and unshamed, but super catchy and lots of fun.  Highly recommended.

The White Panda - Fireflies Goin Down:  Something about this track just kind of screams "Fruit Loops", but while it's simple pop fun, it's still just that:  fun.

The XX - Islands (Nosaj Thing Remix):  Woah.  Nosaj Thing has been awesome for a while now, with a slight dip in quality in 2009.   Now he reaffirms his wickedaness with this hot remix.  Too bad it's so short.

Theatre Of Disco - YOA (The Twelves Remix):  The Twelves are masters at rocking the pop ish on the dance floor.  So very satisfying and funky.

Timberlee - Push Back:  Unh!  I love the reggaeton slamming beat here, and a wicked female MC to boot.

Vampire Weekend - Cousinz (Toy Selectah Mex-More Remix):  This is from the Contra bonus CD sent to people who preordered.  The manicness of the track is maintained with this hyper-bounce remix.  You just try and keep up as you dance around yr bedroom.

Ward 21 - Give It Up (Neoteric Remix)
Ward 21 - Never Sell Out:  Another pleasant surprise!  A great take, and Never Sell Out rocks the same riddim Timberlee uses above, also to great effect. 

Yeasayer - Ambling Alp (The Very Best Remix):  The Very Best get back to their mixtape roots and jack the catchiest Yeasayever song ever!  FUCK YES.  AREN'T YOU SO GLAD YOU GOT HERE?



THIS WEEK'S TRACKS

Kangding Ray - Soundtrack For A Peter De Jong Attractor
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Storytime (The Road OST)
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Bath (The Road OST)
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Road (The Road OST)
NOMO - Invisible Cities
NOMO - Nocturne
Senking - Skidozer 301
September Collective - Waldflöte
Slow Club - Dance 'Till The Morning Light
Slow Club - It Doesn't Have To Be Beautiful
Slow Club - There Is No Good Way To Say I'm Leaving You
Slow Club - Trophy Room
The White Panda - Fireflies Goin Down
The XX - Islands (Nosaj Thing Remix)
Theatre Of Disco - YOA (The Twelves Remix)
Timberlee - Push Back
Vampire Weekend - Cousinz (Toy Selectah Mex-More Remix)
Ward 21 - Give It Up (Neoteric Remix)
Ward 21 - Never Sell Out
Yeasayer - Ambling Alp (The Very Best Remix)

Don't you deny it now:  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20100416.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:
DJ mixes
Blog archives
CPI fan page
Buy me books
Friend me on Last.FM to see what I am listening to

Enjoy!
~CPI

No comments:

Post a Comment