Wednesday, June 29, 2011

MP3 blog 2011/06/29

blog 2011/06/29 - the storms brew overhead and we run frantic, unaware

Austra - Lose It
Austra - Shoot The Water:  I can't yet pass judgement on the whole album, but I do love these two tracks.   Within the new album Feel It Break lays some fabulous synthpop that combines the lushness of Young Galaxy with vocals that maybe kinda sorta maybe remind you of The Knife.  Recommended!

Bon Iver - Beth / Rest:  The closing track of the fabulous new self-titled album, it is a vaseline-soaked pastel painting of mid-80s synth and bravado, new again for the 21st century.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Braids - Plath Heart:  The new album Native Speaker has been growing on me like a tree fungus.  I feel it has the seeds of a minor Joanna Newsom-type genius.  The songs are expansive like Newsom's latest efforts, and the vocals can sometimes hint at her most adorable of tendencies.  But the roots are more firmly in indie rock, and the closest analouge that comes to mind would be Zola Jesus, for the mood and scope alone.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Dum Dum Girls - Take Care Of My Baby
Dum Dum Girls - Wrong Feels Right:  I hadn't been feeling them much before, but I kind of love the new EP "He Gets Me High".  The best sounds of 60s girl bands and 90s rock fuse together in a great way here.  Highly recommended.

Ezra Koenig - Papa Hobo:  Yes, the guy from Vampire Weekend.

Funeral Party - Just Because:  Just something something rocknroll...

Hollywood Holt - The Show:  I for one salute the age of more anal-sex & bondage samples in my hiphop.

Joe Pug & Strand of Oaks - Hard Life (Bonnie Prince Billy cover):  I can't remember, is this even more lowkey than the original?

Labyrinth Ear - Walk on the Moon (Arthur Russell cover):  The classic gets an honest tribute to it.

Okkervil River - Hanging From A Hit
Okkervil River - Rider:  How many amazing albums are out now?  Oh well let me just say:  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.  "I Am Very Far" is genius.  Sheer genius.  Fucking amazing.  Buy it now.  Yes.

Peacetreaty - Change (Flinch Remix):  I don't listen to much treble-attack dubstep, but I do love the synths in this one.  One of the few slam-it-all-on dubstep tracks that I've been loving.

Scott Hutchinson & Rod Jones - I Forgot the Fall:  YES!  That is the guy from Frightened Rabbit.  Why do you ask?

Shabazz Palaces - An Echo From The Hosts That Profess Infinitum:  Hotness from the new album Black Op.

Teen Daze - Surface:  Off of "A Silent Planet".

Wild Beasts - Burning
Wild Beasts - Invisible:  I didn't get in to the last Wild Beasts album, and I didn't really care for the new one (Smother) much either, but these two simmering tracks really struck a lovely chord with me.

Youth Lagoon - July:  Beautiful, new, and that is all for today.



THIS WEEK'S TRACKS:

Austra - Lose It
Austra - Shoot The Water
Bon Iver - Beth _ Rest
Braids - Plath Heart
Dum Dum Girls - Take Care Of My Baby
Dum Dum Girls - Wrong Feels Right
Ezra Koenig - Papa Hobo
Funeral Party - Just Because
Hollywood Holt - The Show
Joe Pug & Strand of Oaks - Hard Life (Bonnie Prince Billy cover)
Labyrinth Ear - Walk on the Moon (Arthur Russell cover)
Okkervil River - Hanging From A Hit
Okkervil River - Rider
Peacetreaty - Change (Flinch Remix)
Scott Hutchinson & Rod Jones - I Forgot the Fall
Shabazz Palaces - An Echo From The Hosts That Profess Infinitum
Teen Daze - Surface
Wild Beasts - Burning
Wild Beasts - Invisible
Youth Lagoon - July


it's raining, oh it's raining and why can't you feel at all:  http://thetastates.com/mp3s/blog/blog20110629.zip


Stay on top of everything new at http://djcpi.blogspot.com

More info:

Enjoy!
~CPI

No comments:

Post a Comment